Azure Virtual Desktop
The virtual desktop infrastructure, including broker, gateway, load balancer and diagnostics, is managed by Azure Virtual Desktop.
Also check the article on WimAsAService and Windows 365 which is a more simplified offering for small to mid-sized companies.
WimAsAService Images with Azure Virtual Desktop
In addition to the standard Windows images provided by Microsoft, you can also upload your own image in order to install applications, language packs, etc. in advance. This works best if the image is stored on a blob storage.
We have already covered how to upload your images to an Azure storage account in a tutorial found on our Wiki which guides you through every step on how to set up your storage account and configure your image type to facilitate the automatic upload. You can find the wiki page here: WimAsAService Tutorials – Syntaro Help
Use WimAsAService Images in Azure Virtual Desktop
Friendly reminder: Always check the availability of your region and create the blob storage in the same Azure region where you want the virtual machines to run afterwards.
- Define a name for the image type.
- Select an Image (with the ending _WVD_“language“_x64)
- Select the metro apps which should be uninstalled
- Define Windows features to be installed or uninstalled, and remove Windows updates if they are not to be installed.
- Select Apps you want to install. There are three options here:
- Package and upload your own application
- Predefined application with a specific version
- Predefined application with the latest version
For AVD (formerly WVD) there is a special version for teams and office according to the screenshot.
6. PowerShell scripts can be uploaded here. Accordingly, it can be defined when the scripts are executed.
7. Delivery Options: The file types can be defined here. For AVD we need the VHD file available on a blob storage. Accordingly, the storage name as well as the container name and the login data must be entered and checked using „Validate settings“.
8. In the last step, a schedule can also be set up. So that the images are regularly updated.
Create Session Host Pool / VM / Workspace
An automation of the steps is in progress. At the moment, it is not yet possible to determine whether a VHD file has already been uploaded or is still in progress.
To stay updated, contact us or subscribe to our newsletter.